The Key To Effective Ant Control In Los Angeles County
June 15, 2020
L.A. has a population of many humans, yes, but also of particularly tiny nuisance pests called ants. It can seem like they are everywhere, all of the time, in large numbers. Ant populations grow rapidly. As social insects, they live in huge colonies that splinter off into new nesting sites that can spread over properties quickly.
It’s important to identify which ants you’re dealing with if you want to figure out how to solve the problem effectively. L.A. is home to a long list of different ant species, but let’s focus on some of the most common ones.
- About 1/16 to 1/4 inch long
- Dark to light brown in color
- Tend to travel along trails
- Massive colonies with multiple queens
- Up to ½ inch long
- Red/black in color
- Destroys wet, decaying wood
- Don’t actually eat the wood; only use to construct nests
- About 1/6 inch long
- Light brown/black in color
- Segmented, oval-shaped body with 6 legs
- Build their colonies under the pavement
- About 1/16 inch long
- Yellow/light brown in color; almost transparent looking
- Infiltrate and contaminate sterile areas
- Chew holes in silk and nylon fabrics
No matter what species you’re dealing with, it’s never good to have an ant infestation in or around your home. While most ants are just considered a nuisance, there are some ants that can cause real damage.
Prevention is absolutely crucial. A good place to start is by identifying and removing all ant attractants in your home. If you want to get serious about your efforts to reduce ant activity on your property, review the following. Implementing these methods of protection can greatly minimize your exposure to ants.
- Eliminate entry points by sealing all cracks and crevices around the outside of the home.
- Fix any moisture issues, such as leaky pipes, faulty facets, and malfunctioning drains.
- Frequently take the garbage out and keep it outside in a lidded trashcan.
- Get rid of any standing water and any sources of excess moisture.
- Maintain trees and bushes, keeping them well-trimmed and directed away from the house.
- Maintain functional downspouts and gutters to keep water flowing away from the foundation.
- Practice a high level of cleanliness and sanitation.
- Promptly wipe down counters, sticky jars, or food residue.
- Store all food sources in tightly sealed containers.
- Use a dehumidifier in damper areas of the house like basements, crawl spaces, and attics.
While these are all helpful tips, ants can still sometimes squeeze through, regardless of your efforts. Ants are so tiny that it can be hard to tell where they’re coming in. There are often entry points that you can’t access. Some of the common entry points where we often discover ant activity, include:
- Cracks in walls and floors
- Doors and door sweeps
- Foundation gaps
- Inside the floor
- Near baseboards along the floor
- Unsealed exterior holes
- Utility and plumbing lines
- Windows and window frames
There is an endless number of potential access points on a property. When you find one ant colony, chances are there are many others hidden in the area, and the only way to effectively protect yourself is by getting help from the pest experts.
If you’re seeking reliable ant control and prevention services in Las Angeles from the professionals, look no further than the team at Admiral Pest Control. Whatever the nature of your ant problem, we’re here to help. Whether you need us to eliminate an existing infestation or you want to be preventative to avoid future infestation, you can count on us. Contact us today and say goodbye to those pesky ants once and for all.