You woke up this morning, brushed your teeth, had a bowl of cereal, and left for work. After work you come back to a cozy, perfect home where you go to find peace and tranquility. But what you don’t know is that there is a hidden menace, slowly and quietly eating away at your sanctuary. Before you are even aware of their existence, they have done extensive and expensive damage.
Termites are a very beneficial insect in nature; they help to break down wood, mulch, leaves, and other organic materials. The problem comes when these insects enter your home, consuming anything made of wood in your house, including furniture and even structural beams.
There are a few things you can do to discourage termites from entering your home.
- Fix any leaks or drainage problems. Termites need the moisture to survive. It is especially important to keep moisture away from the foundation of the house.
- Store firewood, newspaper, and other organic materials away from the house. The termites can easily travel from the wood pile into your home.
- Use mulch sparingly, and at least 3-4 feet away from the house.
- Remove dead trees and stumps.
Although you can have termites without having any visible signs, there are a few things to watch for.
- A sawdust-like substance around wood areas.
- Small tubes made of mud on walls.
- Cracking or bubbling paint.
- A swarm of winged insects near the home.
- A pile of discarded wings from swarmers.
Even with none of these signs, you could still have termites eating away at your home. The best way to know if you have a termite problem is to have Admiral Pest come for an inspection. With over 65 years of experience with termites, we will be able to tell you if you have a problem and the best way to treat it. We even have preventative treatments that can be applied so you know your home will always be safe.
Protect what you love, call today for a termite inspection from Admiral Pest.